Monday, January 4, 2010

Breastfeeding (warning maybe TMI)

SO! I am sorry if people don't want to read about my struggles with breastfeeding, or my nipples, but I figured that venting/mom discussions is what this blog has become so here I go...

Before Hadley was born I was on the fence about breastfeeding. I knew that its "whats best" but I thought I would struggle with the modesty, or lack there of, in it all. Turns out after childbirth those fears all vanished. I actually wanted to breastfeed. The first 2 days (in the hospital) I BF. It was so painful! Nurses helped with the 'latching' but on day three I said forget it! My nipples were raw, blistered, and bleeding! I went to see a lactation consultate but I just cried anytime I tried to feed her. So I started pumping. We then learned that I was not supplying enough for her to eat, which explained why she was so mad, and wanting to eat ALL the time! The lactation nurse said to just pump for a few days to let my nipples heal, and I started a prescription to help my milk supply.
Hadley will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and I have not been able to BF since then. She is on breast milk only which is whats important, but its been so frustrating! I pump every 3-4 hours and have continued to take my prescription, but I still feel like a failure to some extent. I really never thought I would want to BF but now that I cant, its like I failed? I know that is crazy, but just how I feel. I spoke to the lactation nurse again yesterday and I think I will try a nipple shield, but who knows how that will go. I just want whats best for my little girl. As long as she is getting the nutrients that she needs I will be happy.
Its amazing that even though she is getting breast milk, and only breast milk, I still get the guilt trip from some people about her not actually Breastfeeding? I don't understand it and it makes me furious, but I guess everyone has an opinion!!! I just wish the wouldn't share it with me if its negative!

Ok, I am done. If any Mom's have any suggestions, I will happily take them.

Thanks for listening,

Jamie

5 comments:

  1. Sorry, she will be 3 weeks Wednesday!haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jamie...I have been there!! I wanted to nurse Paige too, but she wouldn't latch on. It was so so frustrating. So I pumped until she was 10 weeks old, then switched to formula. I also beat myself up about it until my mom said this: the only WRONG thing to do is to NOT feed her. Anything else is just fine! You are doing GREAT, momma!!! Hang in there! If you want to nurse, keep going to your lactation nurse and you will get past this. If you feel like it just isn't the best thing, then don't think twice about switching. She will do great either way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldnt agree more with what Megan said. Whatever you do it is in the best interest of Hadley, and yourself. Dont let what other people say get to you, because believe me it never ends. Someone is always going to think that the way they did something was so much better than the way you do something.
    BF is such a frustrating thing... Gibson did great at it, but I had to stop early because of issues I had at work. I thought Chad would be just as good but he has so many tummy problems that the only way we could remedy them was to put him on formula.
    Everyone has a different situation, and whatever you do is going to be the right thing. Just dont let other people make you feel like your doing something wrong. You are doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't give you any advice on breastfeeding but just wanted to tell you that you are doing a great job. A lot of women and babies struggle with breastfeeding. Whoever is telling you that pumping doesn't count as breastfeeding is just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks girls! I really appreciate it! I cant tell you how much it means to me to have that encouragement!

    ReplyDelete